Search This Blog

Thursday 25 November 2010

Everyone has a price

So basically the public are hard to please. They want to read interesting stories with all the sordid details. It has become more of an obsession than a matter of need to know.

I was thinking about the quote “all publicity is good publicity” and even though someone does not have credentials they still have public relations representatives. Is this in public interest? Some people may argue that it is as we still need to know about these people and organisations. However, I don’t think I could put my personal opinions behind me and work for someone or and organisation that I didn’t agree with. I applaud the people that do, but it something that I cannot even dream about trying.

I looked into the people with bad press, and It made me think about celebrities who have done bad things but still maintain good public relation representation. Such as; Amy Winehouse, Peaches Geldoff, Paris Hilton Colin Farell just to name a few.

I looked more deeply into the more recent scandal with Kerry Katona; she started off in Atomic Kitten, and then married Brian Macfadden for Westlife had two children and split with in 2004. She is definitely one who would keep any Public Relations representative busy, with allegations of drug use, which caused her to lose her job as the face of Iceland, to spending all her fortune. She became the queen of the jungle, which is every celebrity public relations representatives dream woman to ending up married to Mark Croft (who she now blames for her demise) I was thinking about her children and if I would be able to work with a woman who has taken drugs.

Would your reputation be affected after working with someone who had a bad image? Would the public still respect you? What’s your opinion in this?

It also got me thinking would you class working for someone/ an organisation who promotes a bad image in public interest or just personal gain? My opinion: it’s definitely personal gain, but is that such a bad thing, trying to better a person’s reputation whilst earning some money. I don’t think so, as long as it does not conflict with your personal code of ethics. For example: I’m against wearing real fur, so I personally would not be able to work for an organisation which promotes it, however I could work for someone who wears it because everyone is entitled to wear what they want.

Are there any subjects that you would call taboo for a public relations representatives to go near?

My opinion is that ethical decision making should not just be for the big occasions it should be total approach for the to the whole business of communication as I want to build and maintain relationships in the public relations world where I don’t have to feel that my morals will be to highly impacted.

It got me thinking that everybody has a price, and although I hate to sound contradictory but if I was offered enough money, I think I could do it.

2 comments:

  1. With regard to your comment about everybody has a price i quite agree, i think it all depends on your circumstance and situation, if your family where struggling would you put your ethics to one side to provide for them? i think i would, with the kerry kotana thing i think that it is easy to judge someone on the stories that you read in the media, noone actually knows what goes on behind closed doors and a simple image can create an amazing story that may not neccessarily be true, maybe Kerry's representative knows kerry more indepth then the stories in the papers and wants to help until we are in a situation we cannot begin to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. I think when working for someone who may have made bad choices in the past, it can be seen as a challenge, but like you say there are always two sides to a story and they media often only portray's the worst in order to gain public interest. however, could you work for someone who went against your moral guidelines?

    ReplyDelete